Hainan is China’s southernmost and the smallest province, but even so, it is larger than Belgium. Surrounded by tropical seas it has abundant rainfall and heavily farmed. The coastal resort of Sanya is a busy port and popular tropical beach resort. It is a tropical paradise for Chinese tourists seeking sun and sand and so it is promoted as the ‘Eastern Hawaii’. The mountainous interior is home to the indigenous Li and Miao peoples (now only 15% of the island’s population). The island is frequently troubled by typhoons in the season from May through to October.
Popular Cities: Haikou, Sanya, Sansha, Danzhou, Qionghai, Wanning
Average temperature: 16ºC to 24ºC (60.8ºF to 75.2ºF) in January, 25ºC to 29ºC (77ºF to 84.2ºF) in July.
Places to visit
1. Haikou on the northern tip is the gateway to the island and the largest city. It has several historic sites including Wugong The famous poet Su Shi/Su Dongpo is commemorated at the Dongpo Academy there. Since 2012 the World Open Snooker tournament has been held at Haikou.
2. Sanya at the southern tip of the island is the main beach resort. Nearby Nanshan is famous for the long life of its people and its pine trees. Luhuitou Park and Wuzhi Mountain are in Sanya. WuzhizhouIsland boasts pleasant temperature year-round, clean water and various kinds of tropical fish and seafood.
3. Tianyahaijiao is the most famous scenic spot in Hainan. Its name means “the end of sky and the rim of the sea” in Chinese. It covers 10.4 square kilometers of land and 6 square kilometers of sea, and is marked by several grotesque stones as high as two men, which features spectacular views of white waves, azure sky and the blue sea.
4. Called the “tropical plants encyclopedia,”Xinglong Tropical Botanical Garden in Xinglong Hot Spring Tourist Zone is a splendid natural region in Hainan, famous for tropical cash crops, wild plants and rare species.
5. Daxiao Dongtian Scenic Spot has a history of more than 800 years. It covers 22.5 square kilometers, featuring gorgeous sunsets, caves, verdant mountains and bizarre stones. The place is perfect to appreciate spectacular sunset on the beach with those rocks that witness the passing of history. It is the most popular mountain for its special views of the sea, typical mountain landscape and beautiful rocks. It is also home to the Natural Museum of Sanya, which features dinosaur fossils.
6. Yalong Bay is a 7.5-kilometer stretch of beach located southeast of Sanya. As a hot tourism destination, it is famous for its soft, white sand and crystal blue sea with visibility down to 10 meters. It is a favorite place of divers. It also has advanced golf clubs and sailing clubs.